Jan 6, 2009

Epiphany


It's high-time for another blog post, but I need some inspiration, so I'm going to follow Terry's lead; he was also the first person who helped me find some of the rich meaning in Christian Tradition stretching back to the ancient church. Speaking of which ...

In the early church, it was a time when new converts were admitted to the church after a period of preparation.


This obviously resonates with me, as I will be admitted into full communion with the Roman church this coming Easter season. The Liturgical seasons of the Church is one of those things I never experienced as a Protestant, and the emphasis on them in the more Traditional church is really cool, in my opinion. I resolved to develop my faith in the Roman tradition right around the end of October, so Advent was my first season. I really got into the way all the Scriptures, homilies, daily readings and prayers revolved around preparing ourselves in anticipation of Christ.

Until this season of epiphany, and our first Sunday discussion of it, I had never really considered the flow of the Christmas story continuing out past the point of incarnation. But it does - the incarnation is just the beginning. Matthew's account of the magi's gifts symbolically point to Jesus's death, and also to his glory - celebrated during the Easter season. Even there is not the end; the Emerging movement does a great job in emphasizing our call to continually live the restorative mission of Jesus. I love what Terry said about it ...

... because in the Christian faith everything is present, here and now. Our Lord Jesus Christ is with us here and now, our inseparable Companion and Comforter. The historical event is just a motive and remembrance, because the Person of Christ is ever present ...

No comments: