Aug 11, 2009

That They May Be One


Another great iMonk post - about theology changing relationships - got me thinking, commenting, and reading, as often happens. Michael's wife is Catholic, and I get the feeling it's caused some issues in their relationship. Thankfully, I've not had much of that ... yet?

Really though, I've been very blessed in this area - all of my family and friends have been supportive thru my conversion. Every once in a while one of my Catholic theological buttons might be pressed, but it's usually in good fun, or mild. From the iMonk posts, I've decided to keep my theological mouth shut, unless prompted, for the first three years of my Catholic journey ... which is coincidentally just enough time to complete that Pastoral Ministry bachelor's degree; hopefully it will help when I do finally open my mouth. ;)

For now, I'm reading this Ut Unum Sint (That They May Be One) article on ecumenism by Pope John Paul II. In a way, I think of myself as doing some grassroots ecumenism in my Protestant relationships. I find that some Protestants dislike their perception of the Catholic Church, but when they hear a doctrine or discipline of the Church explained in a different way - especially by a former Protestant - they find out how much it rings True - i.e., fundamental Christian Truth.

Here's part of one of Jesus's prayers from John:
I pray not only for them [those whom you gave me out of the world], but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them, and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.

I believe the Roman Catholic Church is Apostolic - the visible lasting Church established and ordained by the Apostles - those whom God gave Jesus out of the world. I believe the entire Christian Church is those who believe in Jesus through the word of the Apostles. I believe Jesus longed for us all to be one; so I have to be honest - I want all of my non-Catholic friends to come to Rome. But, more strongly I want all Christians to live in and with each other in the love of Christ.

1 comment:

Saint Facetious said...

I can't wait to get back to church, I haven't been able to go for the past two months, as there are none locally where I'm at. But once I'm at my permanent site, I can go into Tbilisi for mass.

Your last paragraph strikes a thought I've been reading, especially as I've been reading Philip K Dick's VALIS. Not a... er, Christian book, per se, but in some ways and ideas it is. And in more ways quite Gnostic, but yeah (he's a schizo and bounces between the two). Anyways, the Catholic mass especially (and the Orthodox mass, as I've seen), are both the ultimate breaches in space and time. At one moment, we're in Communion with those of thousands of years past and those of all across the world. I'm itching to get back.